Tuesday 11 May 2010

POSTCARD FROM BRISBANE


“The most important trip you may take in life is meeting people halfway.” - Henry Boye

Hello from Brisbane! It’s no rest for the wicked, it seems, but I think I must have been wicked in a past life – hence the punishment in this one! When one travels for work, there are many imperatives that are operative and one soon loses most of the enjoyment that is usually associated with travel. My flight was delayed today and then on approach to Brisbane airport we flew through a tropical storm, which made for a bumpy landing. The traffic getting out of the airport was horrendous, something obviously due to the weather, but also because the major arterial out of the airport had major roadworks that we battle with.

Nevertheless, I finally got to my hotel and after freshening up, I joined my colleagues for dinner at an Indian restaurant in New Farm, called “Sitar”, one of a chain. There were about 30 of us and the service was rapid, although not very good and the food was standard, nothing very special. We did have a good time, however, as there was much catching up, conversation, joking, and even discussion of some work projects.

Tomorrow is a full day with much to do, many meetings and a full schedule. On Thursday I have a workshop to attend at the Office of Higher Education and then finally back home on Thursday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment