“Ice-cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal.” - Voltaire
Thank goodness it’s Friday! It’s been another very tiring week and I am looking forward to the weekend. When I came home this evening I just plopped down on an armchair, took off my shoes, stretched my legs and did nothing for a few minutes. The heat didn’t help either and it was stifling hot in the train coming home. Fortunately, home was a cool, shady haven of serenity and sanity!
We shall have some more hot days over the weekend and then a cooler week next week. So while the sun shines, let’s make cassata ice cream cake!
Light vegetable oil
1 x 20 cm square plain sponge cake (bought or homemade)
2-3 tbs Galliano liqueur
700 mL vanilla ice-cream
700 mL chocolate ice-cream
250 mL whipping cream
2 tbs icing sugar
100 g (2/3 cup) candied peel, chopped dried apricots and glace cherries
2 tbs grated dark chocolate
Cocoa powder, to dust
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 20 x 10cm (base measurement) loaf pan with oil.
- Line the base and 2 long sides with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Carefully cut the cake in half horizontally. Halve each piece lengthways to make 4 cake rectangles. Line the base of the prepared pan with 1 cake rectangle. Press down slightly.
- Use 2 cake rectangles to line the 2 long sides. Halve the remaining cake rectangle crossways and use to line the 2 short sides. Trim excess and use to fill any gaps. Brush the cake with liqueur to moisten the surface.
- Transfer the chocolate ice-cream to a bowl. Set aside to soften slightly. Spread over the cake base. Smooth the surface and sprinkle with grated chocolate. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla essence until stiff. Add the fruit and fold until just combined. Spoon into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Transfer the vanilla ice-cream to a bowl. Set aside to soften slightly. Spoon into the prepared pan carefully over the cream/fruit layer. Smooth the surface. Trim the excess cake. Cover with overhanging plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for 2 hours or overnight, or until firm.
- Turn out the cake onto a serving platter and remove the plastic wrap. Dust with cocoa powder and if desired, decorate with whipped cream. Cut into slices to serve.