Wednesday 16 April 2014

POETRY JAM - REBIRTH


“We all hope for breakthrough rebirth moments.” - Dane Cook

Rather apt for Northern Hemisphere, where Spring is approaching Poetry Jam this week has prompted readers with the following thought: “It is the season of birth and rebirth, so I am going to title this prompt ‘Bees, Bunnies, and Birds’…” Here is my poem:

Renaissance

I’ll be reborn,
Like a drooping snowdrop flower
Peeking from a cover of snow;
Like a pure white lamb in Spring;
Like an emerald blade of grass,
From dark, dank soil emergent.

I’ll be resurrected,
Like the swollen seed sprouting;
Like a gentle wave on quiet shore
When it’s stirred by the zephyr;
Like the first star, bright,
On velvet twilit sky of evening.

I’ll become free,
Like prisoner released from an unjust confinement;
Like the mist of the valley
When it’s caressed by rising sun;
Like the bird that soars so high
When first released from its cage.

I’ll be redeemed,
Like a promise finally fulfilled;
Like a sin confessed and forgiven;
Like the refined metal released from ore
Under the purifying flame of fire;
Like a dusty road washed clean by a rain shower.

I’ll be comforted,
Like a traveller who at last
Sees his welcoming home shore;
Like a desert wanderer, who sick of mirages
Finally arrives at the real oasis,
Like an orphan who can at last feel a mother’s love.

I’ll be reborn,
I’ll be resurrected,
I’ll become free,
I’ll be redeemed,
I’ll be comforted,
I’ll live my wasted life over,
Only when you come into it…

14 comments:

  1. I like the progression of this poem, Nick. My favorite stanza is the "I'll be redeemed" stanza, as it resonates a bit with Easter now approaching. I sometimes feel like that dusty road being washed clean by the rain shower. Smiles. I enjoyed the last stanza, with the repetitions and then those two last lines....which give the poem a whole new meaning (for me). Glad you got into the spring mood here, Nick, even though you are into autumn! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely delightful poem! Each line paints a wonderful picture and the mood is definitely one of rebirth. I like the ambiguity of the last stanza, which can be interpreted on a personal level or a deeply religious one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like a prisoner released from unjust confinement...that is spring and definitely easter for me....and how often we put ourselves in that confinement...released of that bondage is true freedom....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful poem just in time for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a beautiful hymn to renewal and love that twist in the closing line...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, just lovely... Happy Easter, Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images and great sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent form and quite powerfully expressed, this has a striking harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so many beautiful similarities used magically!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you structured this and them summed it up with an addition at the end. Good for jumping into spring even tho it is fall where you live. Your poem made me think how for me in my climate, winter is actually the beginning of the time of renewal with new growth coming with the rains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the depth of your poem, Nick, as well as the form! I also like how the closing lines throw a different light on the whole piece and incite us to read your whole poem again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The repetition gives a strong impact of what you are attempting to convey. And convey it you did indeed!
    Wishing you a Blessed Easter Nick .

    ReplyDelete
  13. What incredibly powerful images in just about every line here ... and such a powerful message of faith and perseverance in the repetition of the 'I will' ... this is just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete