Tuesday 17 May 2011

LOVE'S SWEET LIES


“I prithee send me back my heart,
Since I cannot have thine;
For if from yours you will not part,
Why, then, shouldst thou have mine?” - John Suckling

Today was a “catch-up day” as usually happens after one has been away. Numerous loose ends to tie off, emails to answer, meetings to attend, people to see. The day just flew by and I barely made a dint in my in-tray. One more day of catch-up tomorrow and then I’m off again travelling on Friday.

For Poetry Wednesday today, I raided my old journals and found this poem. Written in the aftermath of a broken relationship…

Your Sweetest Lie

Let your lips curl into their most beguiling smile
And save your sweetest lie to whisper, just for me.
Tell your eyes to wear their fanciest dress
While they look duplicitously at me.
Touch me with your pale, cool fingers
In semblance of a warm caress,
While they drain away my lifeblood.
Speak to me, promise me eternal love
While you leave, nevermore to return.

I’ll curl up on the bed, smelling your fragrance on the sheets,
Deceiving myself that you’ll be back tomorrow.
I’ll ignore my ring that you abandoned on the table,
While I keep on wearing yours on my finger,
Deluding myself that your vows engraved in it are still all true.
The taste of your kiss remembered is sweet,
But in your absence its hidden poison
Gradually spreads within, slowly killing me.

How can I forget you, when everything around me
Reminds me constantly of you?
How can I let your image disappear when new dreams are denied me
In my endless sleepless nights?
How can I abandon you when in the darkness of my white night
The remembered bright fireworks of your sparkling eyes
Are my only illumination?
How can I keep living since you left?
My life has turned to a false imitation of existence…

3 comments:

  1. How sad.....
    But it captures the feelings of breaking up so well.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that many people will have sad memories of this type, Nicholas, and your poem picks up the denial and sadness of a recent break-up. The up-side is that as time heals our wounds, we move on and love again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I forget you, when everything around me
    Reminds me constantly of you?
    How can I let your image disappear when new dreams are denied me
    In my endless sleepless nights?
    How can I abandon you when in the darkness of my white night
    The remembered bright fireworks of your sparkling eyes
    Are my only illumination?
    How can I keep living since you left?
    My life has turned to a false imitation of existence…
    so very touching....

    ReplyDelete