Saturday 16 August 2008

SONG SATURDAY - ANNA


“Nostalgia is a seductive liar.” - George Wildman Ball

For Song Saturday today, a Greek song by singer/songwriter Dionyssis Savvopoulos, called “I Saw Anna Sometime Ago”.


I Saw Anna Sometime Ago

Quite unexpectedly,
I saw my childhood friend
Standing and looking at me.
In her eyes, there were
Broken statues, lost cities,
Sunken ships in the deep.

Noon was hot,
The blind was lowered,
And the staircase in the light-well.
The footsteps on the staircase
Fade away and then nobody’s there.
We’ll wander alone,
Through seas, cities,
Through deserted train stations.

All changes here, with a rush,
How can we poor humans
Understand it all?

Tell me, do you know who I’m talking about?
Anna is her name.
I see her descending,
Hesitating at the last step,
And then is forever lost
In the madding crowd.
Lai, la, la, la…


Είδα την Άννα Κάποτε

Την παιδική μου φίλη
Την είδα ξαφνικά
Να στέκει και να με κοιτά.
Αγάλματα κομμάτια
Στα μάτια της τα δυο,
Λησμονημένες πόλεις
Ναυάγια στο βυθό.

Ζεστό το μεσημέρι
Το στόρι χαμηλό
Κι η σκάλα στο φωταγωγό.
Σβήνουν τα βήματα στη σκάλα – κανείς.
Θα πλανηθούμε μοναχοί,
Θάλασσες, πόλεις, έρημοι σταθμοί.
Αλλάζουν όλα εδώ κάτω με ορμή
Τι να καταλάβουμε οι φτωχοί,
Τι να καταλάβουμε οι φτωχοί…

Για πες μου μήπως ξέρεις,
Γι αυτήν που σου μιλώ,
Άννα τ’ όνομα της το μικρό.
Την βλέπω κατεβαίνει
Στέκεται στο σκαλί,
Και χάνεται για πάντα
Στου κόσμου τη βουή.
Λα λα λα λα λα…

No comments:

Post a Comment