Tuesday 14 February 2012

A VALENTINE


“Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” - Lao Tzu
Magpie Tales must have been in Valentine Day mood when selecting this week’s prompt. A striking image by Christophe Gilbert, with several lines of subtext that I won’t go into. I will succumb to the Valentine mood and write of love.

Serenata

The pagan tribes of Araby revere the sun
The Saracens all to the moon pay homage.
The stars and winds in blackest Africa are adored
And I my love only your eyes do worship.

In times of strife all men the saints invoke
In hardship ev’ryone to gods does turn,
In tempests raging, sailors Christ recall
But I my love to you in my misfortune pray.

All slaves crave for their freedom sweet,
All prisoners to loose their fetters try,
All cagéd birds to escape their bars attempt,
And I, my love, to you myself enchain.

To war, searching for glory soldiers go,
To power king and noble all would sacrifice
To miser more than life the glint of gold is worth,
But I my love would for your smile expire.

7 comments: