Wednesday 23 May 2012

GOODBYES

“Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes, a farewell is necessary before you can meet again and meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” - Richard Bach
 
Saying goodbye is hard. Especially if you know it’s adieu and not au revoir. It was officially my last day at work today and after handing in my keys, credit card, taxi card, phone, computer, and all things corporate, I made my goodbyes to the staff. It was a little melancholy, there were many nice words said, a lot of earnest hand-shaking, some hugs and the turning of a page that signified the end of an era and the beginning of another.

Walking down the stairs for the last time after closing the door of my office I knew that this was really the last time I would be there as an employee and henceforth, any time I chanced in the building again I would be a “member of the public”. While I had a good relationship with everyone, it was a small number of people that I considered closer than others and certainly none that I would class as friends. Work relationships are mostly purely professional and most people would not have it any other way.

Sad though the occasion was, once this chapter ended another begins and the new job beckons. That is the happy part. In all endings there are beginnings, in all partings there are also the promises of new relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment