Tuesday 15 May 2012

CHANGE AGAIN


“There is nothing wrong with change, if it is in the right direction” - Winston Churchill

I blogged last month about a change that was about to happen in my life and a couple of my readers were rather disappointed that I had not divulged what it would be. Well, it is time to spill the beans! I have been working at my last place of employment for 4.5 years and the place has developed considerably and I have contributed much to the improvements that have occurred there during this time. It is a tertiary private College delivering higher education and vocational education courses, but it is rather off the mainstream.

A couple of opportunities came up recently and as they were in areas that interested me greatly (tertiary education, flexible learning, e-Learning), I applied and went through the interview processes. I ended up being offered two of those positions in two different institutions. It was hard to choose between them as both were great opportunities and both were back in the mainstream University system here in Melbourne. After a lot of cogitation and much discussion with friends and family I made up my mind and signed on the dotted line of a new contract.

This is an exciting time for me and I look forward to the challenges of the new job, but at the same time I am a little sad to leave the old job behind me as I did develop some good working relationships with a lot of the staff there. Nevertheless, the time was ripe for change and I am really looking forward to beginning a new chapter in my life.

The new job involves a higher level managerial/strategic role in one of the prime tertiary education providers in Australia, which holds a linchpin position in distance education and e-Learning. This is an interesting position, which promises to hold many opportunities and professional development, but at the same time it will be one where I shall I play an important role in the lives of many people who wish to educate themselves in an innovative and time-efficient manner.

Changing jobs can be a stressful time and there is a lot to absorb, much to learn, new people to get to know, many changes of routine and a new working environment to get accustomed to. The good thing is that I shall still be in the City and my commuting schedule will stay the same. I love using the train to get to work and this is one part of my routine that will not change. I think that the older I get the more accommodating I can be to change and the easier it is to adapt to a new environment. Certainly experience, knowledge, lived life lessons all help to make transitions easier and less stressful.

4 comments:

  1. An exiting new phase in your career Nick. I know you'll excel as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, haven't been around for awhile - it's been hard to chase old yahoo friends around the internets, but suddenly there your post was - serendipitous.

    Just now leaving a career after 25 years - I look at my bulletin board which has a card that says "Change is inevitable - growth is intentional." Goes for me - and also now for you.

    May you continue to grow and I'll have more time to catch up and keep in touch.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo, congrats Nick
    hope the new role gives you room to stretch your wings and increase your influence

    http://cre8space.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an interesting statement in the middle of all that.

    "I think that the older I get the more accommodating I can be to change and the easier it is to adapt to a new environment."

    I thought they arguement went that the older people became, the more resistant to change they became. Using that as my yardstick, every time I gravitate toward the tried and tested, I give myself a shake and try to alter at least something!

    How is the new job going? RMIT?

    ReplyDelete