Saturday 3 November 2007

MARINA LIMA


For Song Saturday today, I am featuring a Brazilian singer. Marina Lima (born 17/9/1955) who is a prominent pioneer of Brazilian rock music. From the age of 5-12 years, she lived in the USA and learned to read first in English and then in Portuguese. She gained attention in 1977 when popular singer Gal Costa recorded her song "Meu Doce Amor". Other songs she wrote were inspired by her brother’s poetry.

Her album, Simples Como Fogo (1979), would be extremely influential in the Brazilian Rock scene of the 1980s. She gained major success with the 1984 album Fullgás, with hit singles "Fullgás", "Me Chama" and "Mesmo que Seja Eu". She sings equally comfortably in English as well as Portuguese and sultry looks coupled with her rich voice have gained her a world-wide following. Here is one of my favourite songs of hers, “Something that we Missed”.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know her music, but this is a really nice sound, and I enjoyed the post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicholas!
    Thank you for talking about Marina.
    I'm Brazilian and it makes me very happy to see good singers being recognized.
    I will publish about her at my blog and will make a link to yours.
    Take a look at this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t5a7hZV0rU
    I hope you like it.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete