Friday 9 October 2015

FOOD FRIDAY - TIRAMISU

“I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” - T. S. Eliot

A sweet treat for Food Friday today. This is a dessert we often have if we go out to dinner in Lygon St, Melbourne's “Little Italy”. There so many Italian restaurants there, that for one to survive it needs to be excellent. This means the food is worth eating in almost any one of them! Tiramisu is on the dessert menu of all of them!

Mascarpone Tiramisu
Ingredients
6 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups (250g) caster sugar
300g mascarpone cheese
2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
4 packets (each approx 180g) sponge fingers
4-5 tablespoons coffee flavoured liqueur
Decoration
1 teaspoon cocoa, for dusting
30g dark chocolate

Method
Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler or bowl over boiling water. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon coloured.
Add mascarpone to whipped yolks. Beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks. Gently fold into yolk mixture and set aside.
Split the sponge fingers in half and line the bottom and sides of a large glass bowl. Brush with coffee liqueur. Spoon half of the mascarpone filling over the sponge fingers.
Repeat sponge fingers, coffee liqueur and filling layers. Decorate with cocoa and chocolate curls. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate.

Please add your favourite recipe below using  the Linky tool:

2 comments:

  1. The first time I tasted tiramisu, I decided to convert to Christianity (Catholicism), get Italian citizenship and adopt new, Italian parents. My own parents thought this was hilarious but as soon as I finished my Gap Year abroad, I really did head straight for Italy en route home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite dessert ever - and I am not a dessert person!

    ReplyDelete