Saturday 27 June 2009

SONG SATURDAY - HANDEL


“And weep the more, because I weep in vain.” - Thomas Gray

A very busy Saturday today, with much work on my book. I am finalising the illustrations and this takes much care and time. While doing that, however, I can listen to music and this was one of the pieces I heard. Immortal Handel!

An aria from George Frederick Handel’s opera “Rinaldo”, called “Lascia ch’ io pianga” (Let me weep).



The clip is from the Gérard Corbiau film “Farinelli” (1994). Farinelli, was the artistic name of Carlo Broschi, a young singer in Handel's time. He was castrated in his childhood in order to preserve his voice. During his life he becomes to be a very famous opera singer, managed by his mediocre brother

Lascia ch'io pianga

Lascia ch'io pianga la cruda sorte,
E che sospiri la libertà!
E che sospiri, e che sospiri la libertà!
Lascia ch'io pianga la cruda sorte,
E che sospiri la libertà!

Let me weep

Let me weep over my cruel fate,
And that I long for freedom!
And that I long, and that I long for freedom!
Let me weep over my cruel fate,
And that I long for freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment