Wednesday 18 May 2016

POETRY WEDNESDAY

“Really, most of us just focus on what’s in front of us. We’re too busy putting out the fires of everyday life.” - Aidan Quinn

I am taking a break from Poets United Midweek Motif as I am quite busy at the moment and dealing with some matters that have come up. This week the theme there is “Bullying” so I suggest you follow the link and read some fine poems from the talented crowd that take part there. I am reposting an old poem of mine for some Wednesday Poetry.

Serenata
(As remembered from the Italian)

The pagan tribes of Araby revere the sun
The Saracens all to the moon pay homage.
The stars and winds in blackest Africa are adored
And I my love only your eyes do worship.

In times of strife all men the saints invoke
In hardship everyone to gods does turn,
In tempests raging the sailors Christ recall
But I my love to you in my misfortune pray.

All slaves crave for their freedom sweet,
All prisoners to loose their fetters try,
All cagéd birds to escape their bars attempt,
And I, my love, to you myself enchain.

To war, searching for glory soldiers go,
To power king and noble all would sacrifice
To miser more than life the glint of gold is worth,
But I my love would for your smile expire.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh...this is a heart stopper of a poem. Imagine being the inspiration for this(sigh).Just gorgeous. Bet you are escaping the winter in the Greek isles. Be sure to return to Mid week Motif poetry . We will miss your lovely contributions.A toute a l'heure or anglicised toodle - oo Enjoy !!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Nick!! So glad I made my way to your blog. You are indeed a poet; and yes, hope to see you back at Midweek Motif in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An exquisite poem! I loved the images in each verse and the lovely rhythm throughout.

    ReplyDelete