Wednesday 16 September 2009

THE MOON ALONE


“As contraries are known by contraries, so is the delight of presence best known by the torments of absence.” - Alcibiades

A poem dedicated to someone special, far away…

The Moon Alone

The wind blows all the stars away,
Sweeps them under the carpet of the clouds.
The moon alone remains high
On her silver balcony,
And smiles.

She watches me and stifles a laugh
As I search for my lost heart;
Mislaid perhaps – or hiding in a summer’s night,
Or taken by a spring morning;
Stolen?

The clouds gather and draw the curtains
Giving the moon the privacy she wants, alone.
I too sit alone, where is my soul tonight?
Flying with the gulls,
Or sailing.

The wind whistles a lonely song tonight,
The leaves shake, the tiles rattle,
The window creaks, and I’m awake, sighing.
Are you watching the moon? You too alone,
Sleepless?


Jacqui BB hosts Poetry Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love this poem! The imagery in it is stunning.
    Thanks for posting. There is a very lucky person out there that poem was written for, I guess Nicholas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far away. Beyond our touch. And yet we sit and gaze upon the same moon.

    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing poem with a keen poignancy to it...

    ReplyDelete