“Nothing is more miserable than man, of all upon the earth that breathes and creeps.” - Homer, Iliad
This evening I am feeling very flat. In fact more than flat. Melancholy, disappointed, sad, dismayed, distressed. The reason? Nothing and everything. A combination of many things over the last few days. Disappointment with people – family friends, colleagues. Disenchantment with work (some issues that have been brewing for some time and have just come to a head). The post-holiday flatness and return to work. The sudden change of weather and the unexpected sapping heat…
I’ll keep this brief tonight and after searching through my recipe book, I attach this feel-good, utterly decadent and sweet recipe. This is comfort food at its worst (best?) designed to drive away these blues I’m feeling…
Dark Chocolate Bavarois
Ingredients (serves four)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons gelatine
- 185 g molten dark chocolate
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 100 g grated white chocolate
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 1/4 cup of liqueur (Baileys, e.g.)
• Beat egg yolks with the sugar until light and creamy.
• Scrape out the contents of the vanilla bean and put into the milk with the husk. Slowly bring milk to the boil and strain, pouring the milk little by little over egg mixture without stopping the mixer.
• Return mixture to saucepan over low heat stir constantly until mixture thickens slightly (about 3 minutes) to a custard-like consistency.
• Dissolve gelatine in 1/4 cup water over double broiler
• Remove custard from heat, stir in gelatine and melted dark chocolate.
• Cool for 10 minutes.
• Beat cream until soft peaks form, fold into chocolate mixture. .lightly grease and flour four one-cup capacity mini moulds, pour in the mixture and refrigerate until set.
• To make the sauce, combine chocolate and extra cream in a medium saucepan, stir over low heat until combined.
• Cool to room temperature.
• Ease bavarois out of moulds and pour the sauce over the top and serve.
If you visit this blog regularly and have never commented, how about saying “hello”? There are an awful lot of lurkers out there…
Have a good weekend.